Located on the left bank of the Gouët, le Légué takes its name from the words "Lez guer" or "Ker" which means "near the town" , or the french word for a ford, a place where the water level is low enough to be crossed on foot. Le Légué sent shipps to Newfoundland at the end of the 17th century. It also saw much trade with the channel islands and Normandy until 1691 and you can visit the Grand Léjon, an old sailing boat from this time. From the 18th century the port saw many fruitful maritime activities - fishing became a tradition with expeditions to Newfoundland, fresh fish from regional waters and whaling. The Saint-Brieuc bank of the quays later became a centre of industry and metallurgy. Today le Légué is a port for dry and wet dock, specialising in pleasure, fishing and commercial activities.
Exploring Le Légué
Le Carré Rosengart
This former industrial site installed on the site of the old Sébert foundries was where the Rosengart automobile spare part factory was to be found along with the factories of Chaffoteaux and Maury. Today it is used by the association "gens de mer", with hangars, workshops and out-of-water repair sites. The large interior spaces of the old factories have been renovated with stone, brick and metal structures where exhibitions, seminar halls and a restaurant with a panoramic terrace are to be found.
Ship chandler's houses
Opposite, in the heart of the village of Le Légué, houses formerly occupied by ship chandlers of the 18th century surround the port. The houses are characterised by high sloping roofs, the remains of tall chimney pots and access through the rear via an extension of the entry way. They were often associated with warehouses for salt, canvas, fish and so on. Today a pottery works can be found in one of the old master's houses.
Le Grand Léjon, a traditional ship is easily discernable among the masts with its green and white hull. The Juno Bravo, an English cutter today houses a floating museum of wooden toys. Up to the lock pleasure boats rub shoulders with trawlers which go fishing for scallops from October to April and John Dory, squid and cuttlefish during the rest of the year.
La Villa Rohannec'h and access to the port via Rohannec'h park
The entrance to the main pathway through the park is on the boulevard Pasteur in the Saint-Michel quarter of the town. The viscount Alain Le Gualès de Mézaubran constructed a villa at the crown of the Rohannec'h hill, looking down on the quays of Le Légué and, near the turning bridge, the main entrance to the park.
Pointe à l'aigle lighthouse
At the end of the stone breakwater on the Plérin bank of Le Légué, the lighthouse (first lit in 1857) marks the entrance to the port. Opposite, a large solid anchor point welcomes high-tonnage vessels carrying wood, steel, sand and kaolin.